The Approach Table is a unique design that can double as both a bedside table and living room side table. Designer Jess Tasker began with the idea of wanting to create a versatile occasional table that was exemplary of Trunk Studio's Canadian contemporary look.
Here are the photos and explanations of each step of the design process for the Approach Table as told by Jess.
1. It started with wanting to make a series of tables using right angles and straight lines. The idea of a ledge for resting coffee, cell phones and books was an exciting one that carried the process forward. You can see the experimentation with some crazy looking legs. The plugs were a look I loved from the beginning. There were countless drawings in the beginning stages. See two of them below. It was now time to figure out scale on paper before making a cardboard model.
2. The cardboard mock-up shows the table without a drawer. An idea that would allow for two versions of the table down the line. One with a drawer, one without. The three-legged design was kind of a funky one, however it lacked stability.
3. Time for a rough scale version from my workshop using plywood. Really liked what started to evolve. Notice the angle of the upright ledge piece. The 90 degree angle in the cardboard version looked far too severe. I couldn't resist testing it out by my bedside.
4. Time to take it to the 'casual prototype' stage as I like to call it. A model of the table with walnut stain and veneer plywood, but lacking the craftsmanship and solid hardwood that Trunk Studio prides itself on. Took it out for a fun little photo shoot along Nova Scotia's South Shore. This is where the three legs really started to make the table tip while removing the drawer. Time to move to a four-legged version.
5. The final product from our Nova Scotian producer. Handcrafted, solid walnut and birch. The four legs lend themselves to symmetry while the ledge provides playfulness and utility. The little ledge on the table top was added to ensure objects couldn't slip off and as a design element to compliment the larger ledge. This table can be oriented with the large ledge oriented to your bed, chair etc. The table slides in and out easily from either side, with a handle on both sides for open concept rooms. I love the dovetail detail on the drawer slide-out. You will also notice the signature Trunk Studio plugs in the table top. Modern and traditional joinery in one piece. Much like Trunk Studio's design philosophy!